Monday 1 October 2012

The Mahatma And I

There was a time when my ‘creative pursuits’ included scribbling little Haikus at the kitchen table because watched pots never boil and writing fond memoirs of an uncomplicated childhood while staying up late with my children on school project nights.

As a homemaker, my attempts to write with method and purpose were often blown aside in the frenzied rush of weekdays and buried deep under weekend piles of laundry. And so, prey to procrastination, they remained, isolated nuggets of creativity, sadly scattered over pages of diaries, unknown, unread, anonymous.

To start a blog was part of my New Year resolution. But for some strange reason, New Year resolutions overwhelm people like me into a state of jinxed inaction.

When I was a child my father once narrated the story of how he quit smoking. A young smoker, he stumbled miserably through failed New Year resolutions until that second of October fifty years ago, when he broke his enslaving addiction for good. I draw inspiration from his magnificent victory to break my sin of procrastination.

This blog is my little virtual space where my voice is heard for who I am for

‘I am the mother and the daughter,
Companion, sibling and spouse,
Everywoman in intuition,
Indian, in my instinct.’


A poetic tribute to the father of the nation




We live in times when the ‘Gandhian path’ has lost its direction from being a way of life to a political compulsion to acquire the Mahatma’s meagre belongings at international auctions.
I wonder if our very own saint of simplicity would have foreseen the day when his spectacles and a drop of his blood would be valued in millions rather than his deep vision and the spirit of sacrifice his simple life symbolised.


The Mahatma and I


One night as I tossed in bed,
Caught in the tempests of fitful sleep
I saw an old man troubled,
His chest bore wounds so deep.

He held in his hands a cloth,
So faded and stained as old
With such love and tender care,
As a father his child would hold

Curious for a closer glance
Of that form so familiar and bent,
I walked some unsure steps
To unravel what this strange scene meant.

Bapu! I gasped shaken
Deep in delirious confusion
He looked up at me for a moment
My frail, tear stained apparition.

He bade me to sit by his side
And stroked my little head awhile
And picked up with trembling hands
The tricolour, with a sad smile.

Many long years ago,
When the bullets rent my chest
Clothed in these colours I bid
Adieu to claim my rest.

But they tore open my scars
Into bleeding wounds once more
When they robbed my flag of the virtues
Dyed into the colours it bore.

Saffron so rare and precious
Holy hue of sacrifice and courage
But heed not my beloved nation
To the jaundiced beckoning of the savage

White is for ‘satya’, so pure
In thought and speech to be harboured
White fire that purged my soul
While with experiments in truth I laboured

The swaying fields of green
The smile on a farmers face
The freshness of life and faith
Green is for growth and gain

But where hunger consumes the tiller
Where he ploughs not but digs his grave
And the earth cracks deep heartbroken
None can this motherland save.

The wheels of the eight fold path
Lie trapped in the mire of corruption
The chakra of progress ceaseless
Spins in vain, in the ditch of no salvation.

The white man’s chains long broken
I still weep over India’s plight,
Abused in the hands of her sons,
While in blinded greed they fight.

And he sighed and wiped a tear
And took my little hands in his,
Looking deep into my eyes
While whispering this

This is the land that bears
The blood of a million selfless sons
Of lifetimes spent in toil
For a swaraj without guns.

I draw solace from the pride that beams
From a heart that adores his land
As he greets the fluttering flag
With a true, saluting, hand.

So saying he faded away
Into an unreal cloud of mist
But it cleared my mind of its fog
This once in a lifetime tryst

 Two golden threads to treasure
Of truth and tolerance divine
He wove into the fabric
Of freedom, yours and mine

Riches limitless to share
With one another in eternal kindness
To usher the whole of mankind
Into that sublime sea of deliverance.


Asha Mathew




3 comments:

  1. Great writing, poem and thoughts good luck .keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, heart-touching writing.. Can't believe that this is the 1st post !! It's a fantastic beginning and I hope it never stops !! Keep it up didi...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asha

    While I appreciate your fantastic poetic sense in making us think about a person who is bygone not his face but his values I urge you to use your potential to write on subjects that resonates with all generations that provocates thoughts and
    ultimately changes come from within.
    Appreciate your thought well scripted .
    Anil

    ReplyDelete